Saturday, September 4, 2010

Gold Museum / Museo de Oro

Today was a beautiful day. The rain finally went away. We had a great lunch. I finally had my arepas. Yummy!! We had Ajiaco Bogotano  for lunch. This is a traditional soup from Bogota that consists of pieces of chicken, large chunks of corn on the cob, two or three kinds of native potatoes and an herb called guasca . It is served with heavy cream, capers and my all time favorite, avocado. Delicious! I need to learn how to cook some of the wonderful dishes we are having here.
Our plan is to head to the Museo de Oro ( Gold Museum ) which displays an extraordinary selection of  pre-Hispanic goldwork collection , the biggest in the world . Jaime and  Silvia picked us up to head to the Museo de Oro ( Gold Museum) to our sweet surprise the Craven family was with them.  They are from Franklin, TN. They are in Bogota  for  their second adoption, this time for a sweet beautiful little boy .I have been chatting with Ruth Ann via email and on an international adoption forum .  Ruth Ann and Stephen are really nice and extremely friendly.  Their children Anna Marie and  Jackson are absolutely  beautiful. It was nice to spend some time with another family .
The museum  was amazing to see all of the intricate gold work that  was created such a long time ago with primitive tools. People are so resourceful.  I personally like the story of El Dorado. We truly enjoyed the museum not sure about Daniel. However  Daniel was quick to point out anything with wings by saying "PioPio"  translation is "Tweet tweet" .When  he saw a  clay pottery monkey he started making monkey sounds.  Thank goodness Ruth Ann had an extra set of toy keys for Daniel to play with. I know I am a  Rookie Mom. Everyday gets better and I feel  slightly more prepared.
Thanks Jaime, Silvia, Ruth Ann, Stephen , Anna Marie and Jackson for a wonderful afternoon in Bogota!

 
"Really more gold. Thanks Mrs. Ruth Ann  for letting me hold the keys. I just need to find the car."
Famous Muisca's golden raft  that represents the El Dorado ceremony.
Daniel, Gary and  Silvia












3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie and Gary,
He is the most adorable baby. We are so happy for you guys and ca not ait to meet that sweetie pie :)
Tammi and john

Ruth Ann Craven said...

We had so much fun with you guys. It was great to finally meet you and precious Daniel in person! Hopefully we'll get to hang out again before you guys head home!

Anonymous said...

Hi from everyone in the NICU!!! We have been following your picturs and stories...we can't wait to meet Daniel in person. Soooo happy and excited for you guys!! HE IS GORGEOUS!!! BEAUTIFUL FAMILY!!